Artlab33

Tuesday, June 3

Finally, I got a permanent position offered to me teaching photography. Although it starts in August it will allow me to finally pay some bills, provided I'm not homeless before then. I need to design another course offering since I'm currently scheduled to teach two courses. I got home to find that nice message in my inbox.

While away I visited with my sister whom I haven't seen in 27 yrs.! She was not at the funeral. She hid away for some yrs, got involved with the wrong people after getting national attention for hair design, started dealing drugs, and the downward spiral. Both she and my brother have been failures at keeping in touch with each other and myself. It really hit home when my Uncle died because my father was very close with all his siblings, esp. this brother. Anyway, seeing what family was there was good. My cousin and I did some baking and you know that was good. Pound cake, none better than my grandmothers and her sweet potato pie (deceased)!

Speaking of food, do you know about the Food Culture Museum? Antoni Miralda, who lives parttime in Miami has created some very interesting works. Some of his work can be found at the Dacra bldg. in the Miami Design Dist. There was more international controversy with this work: "Catholics slam food art exhibit".

The Catholic priesthood is fighting for survival and respectability these days. Even as I walked thru the St. Louis airport my mind wandered off to the fondling priests as I saw a "collared" man pass in front of me. Kinda difficult to see innocence with such indictments throughout the country, even though the individual I saw cannot be said to be guilty of any crime. It's like what has happened to me so many times before, being the embodiment of an entire race without having done a thing. Even though the principle is the same, the priesthood is a MUCH smaller subgroup of the world's population and it's unfair to indict them all for the crimes of a few.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home